Search This Blog

Travel Blog

Travel Blog
Fasten your seatbelts it's going to be a fun ride

Saturday, September 12, 2020

Yellowstone National Park

I was warned. There was a massive early winter storm coming to WY.
That wasn't going to get in the way of my seeing Yellowstone.
I'd come all this way. So I cooked up a plan to rent a car, drop off the bike, and see Yellowstone like most people, in traffic jams, caused by Buffalo. 

Just as I entered the park officially, after a rather unimpressive omelette (notice my lack of food photos on this trip?) traffic ground to a halt on a bridge for no apparent reason...then this guy came rambling by 15 minutes later.


I sure was glad to be behind metal and glass as I snapped this photo. Google decided some time ago to send me articles on 'Yellowstone' and 'Buffalo' probably because of my many searches about the park in preparation for this ride. Most of them were about stupid people, taunting the Buffalo and getting attacked by them. It was the size of a VW bus.


No journey is without Grindle. Co-Pilot, helping with maps. He was also in charge of the bear spray. 


The day was warm and beautiful but by late afternoon, that would all change. The clouds were those heavy winter storm clouds and thankfully gave shade all day. 


Some beautiful streams.....


and waterfalls.


It's a supervolcano for those of you that slept through that part of class so plenty of bubbling pools, and vapor. 


In the distance on an open plain.


Zoomed in a bit.


Full zoom in just to give you perspective of distance.


It was hard to conceptualize being at 8,000-9,000 feet with peaks soaring far higher in all directions.


That peak in the previous photo, zoomed in.



I saw something like this in Turkey a while back.


And the epic herd of Buffalo's. 


I decided to take the car to the original planned area of Bear Tooth Pass just to see what I had missed as the cold front closed in. I was told at the gift shop that the area was already closed due to snow.



More gorgeous topography.


Yellowstone is a driver's paradise. Plenty of parking and you can see just about everything from behind the wheel. I was grateful to be on four wheels as I could feel the temps start to drop by early afternoon.


Another gorgeous waterfall.


Plenty of wildlife.
Seems I brought my bad luck around bears to Yellowstone. Didn't see one. I spent three weeks in Alaska in 2013 and saw the rear end of one bear crossing the road far in the distance. That's it. Didn't even see bear on any restaurant menus. 


As I've done this US National Parks ride, I've seen plenty of scorched areas. Here in this photo, you can see the new growth that is probably about four to six years after the fire that passed through here. 


I timed my exit from the park around four when the storm was supposed to start. I should have had plenty of time to drive back to Virginia City in clear weather except one very annoying and stubborn Buffalo held up 100+ cars (including me) as heavy snow started to fall. Finally after an hour of no moving, a park ranger with flashing lights drove by all of us and persuaded it to get off the road.


Becky from the hotel suggested I pick up a meal from this place. $26 pork chop later which was exceptionally good.


Made it back to my haunted hotel and flipped a drawer upside down on the folding luggage rack for an impromptu dinner table in front of the wall heater to dry my hair and keep my teeth from chattering.  
The storm was in full force by now,  howling wind outside and snow flurry was causing a white out.


The next day would be tricky. The heated gear I carry to allow me to ride in freezing weather stopped working. I suspect I blew the fuse and had a spare as well as a plan to bypass it and force the gear to work. Riding in 30-40 degree weather just isn't possible for any length of time without it. Then I also had to contend with the possibility of black ice. I contemplated staying one extra night in my haunted hotel as I fell asleep under four blankets with a small prayer.


No comments:

Post a Comment